Group lactation pens
Together with customer Renke Specht, Big Dutchman has developed an innovative concept to keep sows and their piglets in groups from day 3 after birth.
Every pen has been designed for three sows and their piglets, with 16.5 m2 dedicated to the sows and 4.5 m2 used as a separate piglet area. Generous openings provide the piglets with easy access to the sow. The sows, in contrast, cannot access the piglets’ creep.
This absolutely new concept offers much more room for sows and piglets and corresponds to the sows’ natural behaviour of rearing their offspring in the group.
- piglets can socialise earlier: fewer ranking fights in the flat-deck pens;
- the concept is suitable for undocked pigs;
- the piglets start eating from the sow’s trough early on, reducing stress during the feed change in the flat-deck pen;
- more space and thus more room for movement for the sows lead to a much better condition;
- easy-to-open partitions in the rear part of the pen make moving in and out easy, and the sows can easily see each other.